Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Straight from the Olive Grove

My very own olive oil, straight from the olive grove
This past Christmas my lovely sister adopted me my very own olive tree, from a grove in the Italian Apennines. This excellent marketing initiative (check it out: http://www.nudo-italia.com/) helps small artisanal olive oil producers stay in business. In addition  to knowing that I am contributing to sustainable development for an oil that I love and use daily, I also receive two deliveries a year of fresh, cold-pressed olive oil from my grove. My first delivery arrived last week! 

I recommend only eating fresh, cold-pressed oils that are not cooked or broken down by heat. Oils that are extracted using heat and then sit in plastic bottles under fluorescent lights in the supermarket have gone rancid. Think how your car would react to dirty, sluggish oil being run through the motor - it may still run, but its performance would be reduced and it wouldn't look too pretty in there. Oil is so good for your skin, your brain, your hair, your flexibility, your nails, etc., and if you are eating clean oil, you will look and feel all clean and shiny. Pay attention to the quality of the oil you consume, it is worth the price to your health! And don't cook with oil, as heat makes the oil rancid (yes, even olive oil!). Suggest to steam, broil, grill etc. and then drizzle oil on top.

Raw pizza with olive oil drizzled on top.
Base of celeriac/carrot pulp + flax seeds, layered with macadamia nut cheeze, pistachio pesto, basil, marinated onions, tomatoes, and capsicum.

No comments:

Post a Comment