Friday, October 23, 2009

Mamma Mia!

My first package of raw food arrived from the UK. I ordered it from a site called Mamma Earth, which I discovered through the Google ads on this blog. How's that for targeted advertising! As there are no raw food stores in Paris, I am so excited to discover that I can have raw food delivered with minimal shipping fees to my home. My first package of goodies consisted of Supreme Greens powder, several packets of raw crackers, and raw cacao in both powder and candy bars.


Raw chocolate is a superfood. There is an excellent post titled 'All Things Chocolate' on The Sunny Raw Kitchen where Camilla quotes from the book Naked Chocolate:
 ...David Wolfe and Shazzie teamed up a few years ago in order to write their book "Naked Chocolate", in which they reveal "the astonishing truth about the world's greatest food."
According to David, "Every study on chocolate is pointing to the same conclusion: there is something in chocolate that is really good for us. That something is the raw cacao bean, the nut that all chocolate is made from. The cacao bean has always been and will always be Nature's #1 weight loss and high-energy food. Cacao beans are probably the best kept secret in the entire history of food."
And Camilla goes on to write...
In a pamphlet prepared by my friend and Raw Chef Chantale, I just learned that aside from being the best known dietary source of magnesium, raw cacao is exceptionally high in sulphur (the 'beauty mineral'), rich in antioxidants, is an anti-depressant, AND an aphrodisiac! In fact, the cacao bean "contains over 300 identifiable chemical compounds, making it one of the most complex foods known to man."
These laudations combined with my occasional chocolate craving (see previous post 'My Raw Hiccups') inspired me to taste raw chocolate. First I tried the Ombar with coconut and cashews. The chocolate has a similar consistency to the crumbly portion of chocolate truffles with the smoothness of coconut butter. It is good, but the coconut butter is a bit overpowering for me - I like my chocolate pure. Then I tasted the Conscious bar which is pure chocolate with a hint of cinnamon. Fudgey delicious, and one little piece really hits the spot. And wow, chocolate with cinnamon is a great combination! I am very pleased to know I now have nutritious candy bar options to satiate my chocolate cravings.

But the best was yet to come. I decided to try the raw cacao powder by making a raw chocolate mousse. Mamma mia! Absolutely divine!

Easy raw chocolate mousse recipe 
With approximate measurings 
* Use a ripe avocado as the base, blend it in a blender with:
* Agave syrup (or a natural sweetner of your choice, I used a little less than 1/4 cup)
* Coconut butter (optional - I added it for the consistency, 1 T)
* A dash of cinnamon (also optional - you can add vanilla bean, orange zest, however you fancy your chocolate!)
* Cacao powder (1 T or more if you want it super chocolatey!)
* Blend and voilà, you have the tastiest, chocolatiest, most delicious raw mousse imaginable!

My first taste of the spatula reminded me of eating raw brownie dough. Simple to make, delicious and nutritious! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment